locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Sky Mundell

Hello Erick. I have to agree with you. To add to your post, JAWS no longer works with the spellchecker in Office 2019. Meaning, if you push f7, JAWS is just going to say ignore button and nothing else. This started happening in JAWS 18 and it still happens to this day. Needless to say, I'm disappointed with the state of it. When I started using it in 3.5 days, it was perfect! Sure it had its faults, but it at that time was still in the employ of Henter-Joyce, under the direction of a man named Ted Henter who was blind. Now days, JAWS seems to be going downhill. Sad to say, whenever you're at the top, you tend to sit back a little bit. And when you are the second, you tend to work harder. It's honestly sad to watch JAWS go downhill. Fortunately, some if not all agencies are waking up and realising that they're not getting what they are paying for with JAWS updates.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; Aine Kelly Costello
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Greetings,

On May 21, 2019 9:04:07 PM "Aine Kelly Costello" <ainekc@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

New here and my apologies if this topic has been well-covered before but
I’ve not found an efficient ways to search group archives yet!

This topic gets bogged down in politics anyway and it's a personal
favourite of mine.

I’m switching back to Windows after using a Mac for a couple of years, as
I’ll be studying investigative journalism and am fairly sure I’ll find any
software we need to use etc. to work better on Windows than Mac (still
getting info on that).

I think that's a gross generalization. If I could use mac for everything,
I would. Windows is OK for the asics, especially if you have a good means
of flashing back to a known good configuration, but I don't like it for the
high performance applications I need.

My question is: can you tell me about anything that springs to mind that
NVDA does particularly poorly that JAWS does well? In the domains of MS
Word, excel and web browsing, in particular.

Interesting turn of phrase. I'm biassed but in my experience the reverse
is true. I just started a training for a customer using jaws that wanted
to learn flipp. I didn't think it would be an issue, since I had just used
flipp in chrome with nvda very well. With jaws, it was just really clunky
and gross. The customer got so frustrated. I tried chrome and edge with
flipp and with other more basic sites and wasn't really pleased with any of
it. Speaking of webpage summaries was very random. Some webpages loaded
on screen but not in virtual buffer. It was discouraging.

I did have to turn a formula bar setting off in NVDA so that I could use
inline editing for cells in excel spreadsheets last term. I forget where
the setting is now, but could find it if needed. Other than that, I
haven't had any problems in word or excel using nvda. I've done some
complex reports with tables of content, heading structures, and
bibliographies and have never had trouble getting formatting information
and finding the options I need.

On the other hand, I went out to do a training for a college student using
jaws for an excel course, and it was brootal. He had some intermitant
focus issue where he couldn't navigate cells. Then he would restart the
computer and things would work for a bit. Then it would poop out on him.
In the spring I went out to do a jaws training and the customer had his
authorization fail. List indexes aren't being reported properly. The mail
app that comes with windows 10 is doing screwie things, and jaws loses
focus in html content such as webpages and emails.

OK, these are small sample sizes, but it seems to me as though jaws screws
up all the time nowadays. I figure, if something goes wrong with NVDA:
*Odds are good it'll be fixed in months rather than years.
*I haven't paid anything out of pocket.
*There's a strong support community and excellent documentation.

Honestly, I don't see what you would get out of jaws that you wouldn't get
from either nvda or voiceover.

I imagine JAWS is well-ahead of NVDA in OCRing by now, for instance, but
perhaps there’s enough free software around to do this efficiently now that
that’s not a big deal any more … thoughts?

OCR is a nonstarter. Everything does it now. Just pull out your phone and
get'er done. Realisticly, almost all daily computing such as email, web,
simple word processing and document reading can and probably should be done
on mobile anyway. I have 4 email accounts on my phone, and only one on
each of my development machines, and I'm writing this email from my phone
where I'm sitting comfortably on a bus with a work table in front of
me.Thanks very much in advance,

Best wishes,

Áine