locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Nimer Jaber

Well, until your theory gets put into practice, we can't tell users that it isn't a good idea to use and have multiple screen readers on their machine. i run into things all the time which work in one but not another. JAWS has a number of features which NVDA lacks. The touch cursor is one powerful example. Text analyzer is another. I use NVDA as my primary screen reader, but at this point, JAWS is more responsive for many tasks than NVDA is, and if Dvorak support was implemented in JAWS, I would likely switch. Not to mention that JAWS provides many more options for indicating web elements and other attributes with sounds, which for me at least makes my computing more efficient. I wish I didn't have to write all of what i am writing, but there you have it.

Ideally, software developers would code things up to spec, screen readers would implement the spec in the same way, and using different screen readers wouldn't matter much, but it does. Until the day comes that this becomes reality, having multiple tools and being acquainted with them is a great idea for most users, and a necessity for anyone wishing to be productive at work in most workplace environments.

thanks.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

I debunk this.

The requirement for multiple screen readers is a simptim of a broken accessibility system poorly implemented.  Name one other platform where multiple screen readers and switching on the fly are required for reliable access?

The problem with windows was is and probably shall ever be that it doesn't comply with it's own standards and relies on third parties to hack access into existence.  Since no one can keep up with everything, some things will invariably work differently across the board.  Then add stability issues caused by the veritable hackathon, video card instability, third party scripting issues, and (in the case of one product) outright denial of service caused by it's own draconian content protection scheme, and you get a quagmire.

I don't know about linux so much, but mac, Iphone, and android for sure are all really slick accessibility products where the expectation is that things will be stable and accessible out of the box as a baseline.  If a product or feature on those platforms is not accessible, we bring the quality of development of that product or service up to meet the standard.  On windows, we bring the accessibility tools down so that they can crunch through the mess and come up with something that works as long as there's time, money, demand, and co-operation from the vendor of the product.  It's bass ackwards, and we've more or less tollerated it because it's what we are used to.

Best,

Erik

On May 22, 2019 6:42:15 PM "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi I can confirm this. It’s best to have 2 screan readers on yor system.  Should one not work with whatever it is you are doing. Then the other will work.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10