locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Lenron

I have not needed to use jaws as of late but I do think it's a good
idea to have both in the tool box. I would probably use jaws a little
more if I didn't get that damn video driver message all the time, even
after a re-install. Also if I was using a version later than the last
version of 16

On 5/23/19, Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Well, until your theory gets put into practice, we can't tell users that it
isn't a good idea to use and have multiple screen readers on their machine.
i run into things all the time which work in one but not another. JAWS has
a number of features which NVDA lacks. The touch cursor is one powerful
example. Text analyzer is another. I use NVDA as my primary screen reader,
but at this point, JAWS is more responsive for many tasks than NVDA is, and
if Dvorak support was implemented in JAWS, I would likely switch. Not to
mention that JAWS provides many more options for indicating web elements
and other attributes with sounds, which for me at least makes my computing
more efficient. I wish I didn't have to write all of what i am writing, but
there you have it.

Ideally, software developers would code things up to spec, screen readers
would implement the spec in the same way, and using different screen
readers wouldn't matter much, but it does. Until the day comes that this
becomes reality, having multiple tools and being acquainted with them is a
great idea for most users, and a necessity for anyone wishing to be
productive at work in most workplace environments.

thanks.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM erik burggraaf <erik@...>
wrote:

I debunk this.

The requirement for multiple screen readers is a simptim of a broken
accessibility system poorly implemented. Name one other platform where
multiple screen readers and switching on the fly are required for
reliable
access?

The problem with windows was is and probably shall ever be that it
doesn't
comply with it's own standards and relies on third parties to hack access
into existence. Since no one can keep up with everything, some things
will
invariably work differently across the board. Then add stability issues
caused by the veritable hackathon, video card instability, third party
scripting issues, and (in the case of one product) outright denial of
service caused by it's own draconian content protection scheme, and you
get
a quagmire.

I don't know about linux so much, but mac, Iphone, and android for sure
are all really slick accessibility products where the expectation is that
things will be stable and accessible out of the box as a baseline. If a
product or feature on those platforms is not accessible, we bring the
quality of development of that product or service up to meet the
standard.
On windows, we bring the accessibility tools down so that they can crunch
through the mess and come up with something that works as long as there's
time, money, demand, and co-operation from the vendor of the product.
It's
bass ackwards, and we've more or less tollerated it because it's what we
are used to.

Best,

Erik

On May 22, 2019 6:42:15 PM "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi I can confirm this. It’s best to have 2 screan readers on yor system.
Should one not work with whatever it is you are doing. Then the other
will
work.

Windows 10