From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

One thing Jaws has implemented that is helpful is the touch cursor.

This emulates a touch screen with the cursors, whether you have a touch screen installed or not.

Does NVDA have touch screen support?

If so, I may resource this in NVDA.

I too still switch to Jaws when I feel like I need a "jaws cursor".

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:36 AM

Hello,

I’m throwing out  a bit of feedback as well. I use NVDA almost exclusively nowadays. However, I keep preferring the JAWS cursor approach, compared to the concept of screen review found in NVDA. Moreover, JAWS seems to be somewhat better at dealing with programs that haven’t been designed with accessibility in mind. One example to illustrate this: There is a software I use a lot, it’s called Uninstall Tool. It helps uninstall programs by also cleaning up everything they leave behind, which most stand-alone uninstallers do not do unfortunately. In this software, there is a place where we can choose what category of “uninstallable” apps we want to display. That part hasn’t been designed to be reach with the keyboard. With JAWS, I can painlessly find those categories with the JAWScursor,left-click the one I want, and boom, the list opens. On the other hand, when using screen review in NVDA, those categories aren’t even being announced, it’s as if they didn’t exist at all. Therefore, for that program and a few others, I am forced o switch to JAWS.

Back to the original question now. Personally, I would advise having both screen readers installed, you can never know what surprises you might have, especially if you try to use different new programs for different purposes. I truly wish NVDA became better at seeing and reporting things that it’s not supposed to, to deal with those situations in which a software creator doesn’t care about accessibility. If I’m not mistaken, JAWS uses a special driver that interacts directly with the graphic card or the video driver, something that NVDA doesn’t do. I might be wrong here, I remember reading about this somewhere long time ago, that’s all.

I hope this annoying story is going to help your decision a little bit.

Warm regards from Europe,

Vlad.