About other platforms, I think that we think accessibility is great because there aren't other options on Mac and iOS, and Android...

On Windows, though, we do have the option of using other screen readers, thus working around what accessibility problems there are, to an extent. On Linux, things aren't much better than they were 5 years ago, and indeed, are worse for lack of more accessibility-focused distributions since Vinux and Sonar merged together, and fell together. There is only one GUI screen reader on Linux, and it hacks around inaccessibility just like NVDA has to sometimes.

The difference is that with Microsoft being a learn-it-all company, they continually improve, whereas Linux, being more of a "every man for himself," type OS, there is no guarantee besides the message of possible utopia, that accessibility will be fixed in anything by its communities.

On May 23, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

I think part of it may have to do with bad accessibility API implementations from affected apps (we have countless issues regarding this, including Registry Editor). It might be possible to get around this (at least temporarily) by assigning commands to “flattened view” commands (already done for touchscreens, but not for keyboard yet).

As for someone’s question about touchscreen support and NVDA: yes, it does.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io Group Moderators <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Hello,

Respectfully, I find that touch cursor is able to access more than object navigation. While I like object nav, the ability to use the keyboard to essentially swipe is helpful. I have been able to access parts of inaccessible programs using the touch cursor whereas object nav did not work for me.

thanks.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:53 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Touch cursor, as far as mechanics is concerned, is object navigation.
Cheers,

Joseph