locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Devin Prater

This is a great point, and one I've never really thought of. With other platforms, again, you don't really get that choice, and with Windows you do.

On May 23, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Karl Smith <karl@...> wrote:

I don’t think blind people are the only ones who have this issue. How many people, sighted and blind,  use more than one browser because one works better than the other in different situations?

Karl

Karl Smith
Access Technology Consultant

Axis

4304 South El Camino St.

Taylorsville, Utah 84129

Phone: 866-824-7885

Fax:     866-824-7885

E-mail: karl@...

Alternate E-mail: karl.axistech@...

Twitter http://twitter.com/axistech

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

I debunk this.

The requirement for multiple screen readers is a simptim of a broken accessibility system poorly implemented.  Name one other platform where multiple screen readers and switching on the fly are required for reliable access?

The problem with windows was is and probably shall ever be that it doesn't comply with it's own standards and relies on third parties to hack access into existence.  Since no one can keep up with everything, some things will invariably work differently across the board.  Then add stability issues caused by the veritable hackathon, video card instability, third party scripting issues, and (in the case of one product) outright denial of service caused by it's own draconian content protection scheme, and you get a quagmire.

I don't know about linux so much, but mac, Iphone, and android for sure are all really slick accessibility products where the expectation is that things will be stable and accessible out of the box as a baseline.  If a product or feature on those platforms is not accessible, we bring the quality of development of that product or service up to meet the standard.  On windows, we bring the accessibility tools down so that they can crunch through the mess and come up with something that works as long as there's time, money, demand, and co-operation from the vendor of the product.  It's bass ackwards, and we've more or less tollerated it because it's what we are used to.

Best,

Erik

On May 22, 2019 6:42:15 PM "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi I can confirm this. It’s best to have 2 screan readers on yor system.  Should one not work with whatever it is you are doing. Then the other will work.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: May 22, 2019 4:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Hello Aine, hello list,

I am not able to give you an objective view here, just my experiences.

Coming from a Mac/Unix environment myself I would say NVDA does a good job with standard office applications. Of course, if you want to play it safe and you have the financial possibilities, update your Jaws to the newest version before starting your studies. After all, you never know if you will encounter a software that doesn’t work with NvDA and works with Jaws. Personally, I subscribe to the view that it’s always good to have more than one screen reader installed just in case something is not as accessible as you would like it.

As to your original question though, if you are pretty sure that you will be using standard software and you are considering if you really need Jaws to survive in the computer age, my personal answer is no.

Hope that helps …

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.