locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 12:25 PM, Karl Smith wrote:
How many people, sighted and blind,  use more than one browser because one works better than the other in different situations?
As the odd sighted guy, and someone who's been involved in tech support and tutoring/teaching technology for several decades now, I'd say about 99.999%.

It is a general truism, regardless of the specific tool, that one had ought to be prepared to try a different one at the drop of a hat, even if it's for a single purpose/situation, when one's chosen favorite is cranky, for whatever reason.

If you're not ready or willing to do this, then you will invariably end up beating your head against cement walls on way more than one occasion.  This is one of the reasons I try to impress upon my students when I'm tutoring them with a screen reader that they absolutely need to familiarize themselves with another, if just for really basic functions, because there are times when a given screen reader just doesn't "play well" with something (and I don't care if it's the something that's at fault, the point is that going with another alternative lets you find out whether it's likely the screen reader or that other something).

        ~ H.L. Mencken