locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Arlene

Hello if Microsoft is making Narrator the main Screen reader like Apple with Voiceover built in. Then if you purchase a windows system with Narrator built in. Then you should pay extra.  Also if that is the case, then Microsoft should include a word processor with your computer.  Or, give a free trial for 30 days and if you have an outlook key then use it.  Or if you purchase outlook you should be able to buy it out right.  Because you pay for it and other things to run your computer.  I hope this is not off topic.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gene
Sent: May 23, 2019 11:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

The advantages of having more than one screen-reader is why I oppose Narrator becoming so good that it might threaten other screen-readers.  I doubt Narrator is intended to be so good that it might threaten them but I don't know what the long range plans are.  but you know the saying, be careful what you wish for.  How long was Microsoft criticized for being a monopoly and yet, there appear to be a lot of blind people who want Narrator to be a good enough screen-reader that other designers would leave the field.  That isn't in blind computer users' interests.

As far as the touch cursor is concerned, I was stating what I've seen on list from one or two good sources.  But I'm not saying that you are wrong, Nimber, I'm just explaining that I have never compared the two and I don't use Windows 10 so I'll withdraw my statement and let others address the question.

Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:29 AM

This is a great point, and one I've never really thought of. With other platforms, again, you don't really get that choice, and with Windows you do.

On May 23, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Karl Smith <karl@...> wrote:

I don’t think blind people are the only ones who have this issue. How many people, sighted and blind,  use more than one browser because one works better than the other in different situations?

Karl

__________

Karl Smith
Access Technology Consultant