locked Re: idea for add on

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

In addition, in Windows 10 the check box to mute volume is actually a button. It works like a toggle so the procedure is the same anyway.

On 5/26/2019 8:58 PM, Gene wrote:
I made an error in the last message.  I said to use the command alt t to see if you have speech.  The correct command is control t, as I correctly stated when I gave it a second time.  So again, control t is the command for read title bar.

Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] idea for add on

Not quite.  What if the sound is muted, as or more likely than that the volume has been changed.

Press and hold the Windows key.  You must hold it.  If you don't, you will open the start menu.
Type the letter r while holding the Windows key.
Now type sndvol and press enter.
Press home.  That raises the volume to its highest level.
then use the command alt t to see if you have speech.
If not tab once.
You are on a check box which toggles mute off and on.
Press the space bar.  Try control t again.
If there is no speech, press the space bar again to return the setting to what it was originally.
If there is no sound after all this, you may need sighted help.

But this is a perfect illustration of why anyone who relies on sound for speech and doesn't have a Braille display should have a USB sound card or USb headphones for such situations.  You can have speech if you simply connect such a USB device.
After connecting it, you may have to unload and run NVDA again to have speech switch to the USB device.

You can then go in to sound settings and check the settings for the internal card to see what the problem is, assuming, of course, that the problem is related to sound card settings and isn't an NVDA or other probem.

If it is an NVDA or other proboem, you won't have speech whatever sound card you use.

Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 6:58 PM

Gary,

But, what if you don't have sound to start with?

Well, as long as you know all the keyboard keys and its positions, specifically the letters (which you will know if you're using your computer for a reasonable short time), it's no biggie.
Press Windows+R, type SNDVOL and press page up a few times. It's as simple as that.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.