Re: Synthesizer languages with NVDA?

Quentin Christensen

Hi group :)

Heather did ask NV Access this, and I did reply, but as she asked here also, I'll reply here with what I know as well, for the benefit of anyone else coming across this topic:

For Hebrew, the Windows OneCore voices built-in to Windows 10 (our default on Windows 10) supports Hebrew, and also the paid Vocaliser expressive from Code Factory: http://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

For Arabic, eSpeak NG, which is included with NVDA, as well as Windows OneCore on Windows 10 support Arabic.  I believe the paid Acapela also support Arabic: http://www.acapela-group.com/infovox/product-info/languages-voices/

NVDA's interface itself supports both as well.

Since it's been raised in this thread that eSpeak NG doesn't do well with Arabic, I'd also ask those who have raised that, could you please identify what isn't being read well?  There is an eSpeak NG GitHub page where issues can be raised: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues  I can raise an issue  but I need something more specific than "it's hard to undersand" - eg is it words with particular sounds or combinations of letters.

Arabic is listed in the eSpeak NG documentation as being a supported language: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/docs/languages.md

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 6:59 AM Heather Thomas <heather.thomas@...> wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering…can you tell me what NVDA synthesizers support non-Latin languages like Hebrew or Arabic? Do you have to download these synthesizers, do you have to download additional voices, and are they free?

Thank you,

Heather

Carroll Center for the Blind Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) addressed in the message above.  This communication may contain sensitive or confidential information.  If you are not an intended recipient dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error and the email contains private information, please contact the Carroll Center Compliance Line at 617-969-6200 x. 214.  If the email was sent to you in error but does not contain private information, please contact the sender and delete the email.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess