Getting your Windows Version

I'll start by saying I know that the part about getting the Windows version is off topic, but we are now in a period where the changes in the latest Feature Update (Version 1903) and its interactions with NVDA versions are significant.

As a result, it will often be critical when asking questions for the Windows 10 Version, and sometimes build, numbers to be supplied when they are asked.  To get your Windows 10 Version you can do one of two things:

1. Hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver, then hit enter.  You will be presented with the About Windows dialog which contains the line with your version and build.

2. Hit WinKey+R, type in winver in the Open box, then hit enter.  You'll get the dialog noted above.  This method should also work in earlier versions of Windows as well.

If you need your NVDA version, NVDA+N,H,A will bring up the About dialog.

As an aside to the NVDA developers who may be reading, it might be helpful to make NVDA read its own version number in the more conventional "dot" format, e.g., 2019 dot 1 dot 1.  Right now it reads this as though it were a date.  It was really odd to have this come out as Version January first 2019.

        ~ H.L. Mencken