Re: Removing items from a table with NVDA

Gene

I should add that I'm not saying there aren't accessibility problems when selecting at the start of a forwarded message where these lines are, but that doesn't mean that the table structure is what is causing the problems. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Removing items from a table with NVDA

An easier and perhaps better way may be to use edit as new message, control e.  Then replace the address in the to line, add forwarded message or however Thunderbird indicates it is forwarded in the subject line, write whatever you want at the top of the message body, and send it.

On a related subject, it doesn't matter if NVDA says something is a table if it acts like an edit field.  A table can be made to appear as though it is just standard text.  Those who know more about this can explain why a table is used in that way.  My point is that Thunderbird may cause text to appear in a structure a screen-reader says is a table. Technically, it may be a table but it functions as an edit field.  Don't assume something works as you believe it should without testing it in situations like this.  Millions of people write in this structure and edit.  So the structure, whatever it is technically, doesn't mean it doesn't function as expected, In this context, an edit field.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:52 AM

Then use reply instead, put the address you want in instead of the address the to line has at first, and remove the lines at the top such as on Wednesday, John wrote.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:40 AM

Gene,
I'm not saying you should stay at the top. I'm saying you should delete in the standard way. Move to the top because that's where the fields are. Hold shift and down arrow through the fields, thus selecting each line. Then delete.
That's precisely what I'm trying to do :) but NVDA doesn't tell me what I'm selecting, that is, until a certain point where it reports the selection but then I've selected way more than I wanted to.
And no, there's no way of selecting exactly what I'm wanting. That's a "take it or leave it" situation.

You say you suspect you can write and not delete. That is such illogical behavior that I am very skeptical.
My bad, I didn't mean I couldn't delete. I meant I could delete but not exactly what I'm wanting to, because of this selection thing.

Evidently, you are in a structure Thunderbird defines as a table but that should mean nothing in terms of working with it. You aren't in browse mode, and people routinely edit their message bodies.
Well,  NVDA reports it as a table. Besides, now I remember the first time when I asked it and said that when I finally was able to delete something, NVDA would still report the line I've deleted, this time only saying something like "Line X".
You suggested me to use Notepad and edit the text there, and that's what I'm doing. However, specifically this time, it was an email formated as HTML. Since I can't keep the formating on Notepad, well,I'm at a loss here.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.