Re: links

Quentin Christensen

Gene,

I must admit, I wasn't paying attention to the original issue being discussed, so sticking broadly, for most things, if you can put forward a reasoned case for something, we're certainly willing to reconsider it, particularly if it's been a couple of years since it was proposed.  There are several other reasons why it can be worth submitting it to Github as well:

- Firstly, we will sometimes say that a proposed feature is not something WE will prioritise, but if someone else is interested in implementing it, we will accept a pull request for it (which is, if someone else writes the code we will review it to include in NVDA).

- Particularly in that case, it may also be something which can be created as an add-on, which then doesn't necessarily require as much review as a pull request to add something to core.

- GitHub is a central repository of feature requests and subsequent actions.  If we have an email conversation and from that decide not to implement something, it potentially means having the same conversation in year or so when it gets proposed again.  If the rationale for and against is documented on GitHub, it's much easier to come back later and put forward reasoning why things have changed.  it might even be as simple as people didn't think it would take off a couple of years ago but things have changed and such a feature would be really useful now.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:12 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I'll consider more seriously submitting a ticket but as I think about it more, I remember more clearly that someone said on list that the developers considered my list comments on this question in the past and didn't want to change it. That was a few years ago and, while I doubt the response will be different, I may try again.  And if others agree with me and comment on the ticket, maybe that will help, though I'm not optimistic.

Gene 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] links

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, Gene wrote:

> I haven't gone to the trouble of learning how to create a ticket since I have so few issues to submit

Well if you do decide to do it, it is extremely little trouble.

Go to https://github.com, and create an account, which you can do
right on the homepage, by entering a username, your email address, and a
password.

After your account is setup, go to: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

There will be an add an issue button, or similar. Push it, fill out the template
for feature request, submit it, and that's pretty much it.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to search existing issues to see if what you propose
is already out there, so you can read and comment on that instead, but that can
be done from the same place.

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.