Re: Accessible Apps for Writers, Learning NVDA

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bob,

As well as Brian's suggestion re recycled Office licenses, for word processing, Jarte is a popular free option (there is a paid version with more features for $20): http://www.jarte.com/index.html

Open Office and Libre Office are free, open source Office Suites.  I think from memory NVDA works better with Libre Office, although not as well as Microsoft Office.

Depending on your writing and how you want to check for errors, ProWritingAid is a checker, similar to Grammarly which goes beyond the spelling and grammar checker in Word.  ProWritingAid has an accessible interface here: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor?screenReaderFriendly=true

And finally beginner to advanced training materials for NVDA can be found in the NV Access shop.  I'd recommend starting with the "Basic Training for NVDA", which you can get in various formats either on its own, or in the "NVDA Productivity Bundle" which includes training material for Microsoft Office programs (worthwhile if you do get Microsoft Office rather than one of the other options) as well as telephone support: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM Bob Cole <rkcole72984@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I hope it's all right that this is a two-part question.

I'm finally taking some steps to become a more in-depth screen reader user, and I have NVDA installed and ready on my laptop.

I'm trying to get back into writing because it is something I've always enjoyed. I can't afford Microsoft Office. Which free, and even open source apps are the most accessible for this purpose?

Also, where can I find beginner to advanced training materials to learn NVDA in-depth?

Thank you for your help!

Ambassador - Plexus Worldwide

--
Quentin Christensen