Re: Accessible Apps for Writers, Learning NVDA

Quentin Christensen

I'm not sure how spell check in Word with Jaws works - if you are using the Word function and its keystrokes, then the process should be the same with NVDA.  If Jaws has its own method (probably using the Jaws key) then it will be different.

The process also differs depending on which version of Word you are using.  Word 365 works quite well.  Word 2013 and 2016 can be done, but getting to things like the definitions of the suggested words is not as straight forward.

I'd recommend the Microsoft Word for NVDA training module which covers most of the ways of spell checking in various versions of Word.  You can either purchase it individually or as part of the NVDA Productivity Bundle (which includes the other training modules and telephone support): https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Re ProWritingAid, it is more a really powerful grammar checker.  Throwing the above paragraph into it, For writing style, it noted:
1 adverb found outside dialogue. Use adverbs sparingly in your writing,

For sentence length, it remonstrated:
Avg Sentence Length (26.0) target 11 to 18
Sentence variety 1.1 target over 3

It also complained about diction, but otherwise seemed happy with my effort.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...> wrote:
Hi all! I'm looking for the most efficent way to correct miss spelled words in a word document. I know that in JAWS, when one goes to correct miss spelled words in a word document, one can get the list of suggestions, pick there suggession, and then correct the spelling error. Also, the word in question is also spoken. I'm looking for a simular way to fix spelling while using NVDA. Does one even exist? Also, what's Pro Writer? I've never heard of it before. Would that benefit me better than the Word spell checker with NVDA?  

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Gene <gsasner@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 20:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible Apps for Writers, Learning NVDA

Do you know how to do things like spell the current word and move by character in a document?  What exactly are you asking about.  Are you asking how to use the spell checker or how to spell when moving through or reading a document.  At present, the question is ambiguous. 

For example, do you want to know how to check the spelling of a word in the suggestions list?  If you tell us specifically what you want to know, you will get better help.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:17 PM

Hi all! I'm also trying to learn about NVDA. I'm hunting all over the map for efficent ways to check spelling with NVDA and Word on my Dell Pc laptop computer. I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know if there is any efficent way to check spelling with NVDA? Also, I saw your link for Pro Writer. I have never heard of it heard of it before. What is Pro Writer?    

Thank  you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher  will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 16:52
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi Bob,

As well as Brian's suggestion re recycled Office licenses, for word processing, Jarte is a popular free option (there is a paid version with more features for $20): http://www.jarte.com/index.html

Open Office and Libre Office are free, open source Office Suites.  I think from memory NVDA works better with Libre Office, although not as well as Microsoft Office.

Depending on your writing and how you want to check for errors, ProWritingAid is a checker, similar to Grammarly which goes beyond the spelling and grammar checker in Word.  ProWritingAid has an accessible interface here: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor?screenReaderFriendly=true

And finally beginner to advanced training materials for NVDA can be found in the NV Access shop.  I'd recommend starting with the "Basic Training for NVDA", which you can get in various formats either on its own, or in the "NVDA Productivity Bundle" which includes training material for Microsoft Office programs (worthwhile if you do get Microsoft Office rather than one of the other options) as well as telephone support: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM Bob Cole <rkcole72984@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I hope it's all right that this is a two-part question.

I'm finally taking some steps to become a more in-depth screen reader user, and I have NVDA installed and ready on my laptop.

I'm trying to get back into writing because it is something I've always enjoyed. I can't afford Microsoft Office. Which free, and even open source apps are the most accessible for this purpose?

Also, where can I find beginner to advanced training materials to learn NVDA in-depth?

Thank you for your help!

Ambassador - Plexus Worldwide

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.