Re: Accessible Apps for Writers, Learning NVDA

Quentin Christensen

I'm not sure how spell check in Word with Jaws works - if you are using the Word function and its keystrokes, then the process should be the same with NVDA.  If Jaws has its own method (probably using the Jaws key) then it will be different.

The process also differs depending on which version of Word you are using.  Word 365 works quite well.  Word 2013 and 2016 can be done, but getting to things like the definitions of the suggested words is not as straight forward.

I'd recommend the Microsoft Word for NVDA training module which covers most of the ways of spell checking in various versions of Word.  You can either purchase it individually or as part of the NVDA Productivity Bundle (which includes the other training modules and telephone support): https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Re ProWritingAid, it is more a really powerful grammar checker.  Throwing the above paragraph into it, For writing style, it noted:
1 adverb found outside dialogue. Use adverbs sparingly in your writing,

For sentence length, it remonstrated:
Avg Sentence Length (26.0) target 11 to 18
Sentence variety 1.1 target over 3

It also complained about diction, but otherwise seemed happy with my effort.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...> wrote:
Hi all! I'm looking for the most efficent way to correct miss spelled words in a word document. I know that in JAWS, when one goes to correct miss spelled words in a word document, one can get the list of suggestions, pick there suggession, and then correct the spelling error. Also, the word in question is also spoken. I'm looking for a simular way to fix spelling while using NVDA. Does one even exist? Also, what's Pro Writer? I've never heard of it before. Would that benefit me better than the Word spell checker with NVDA?

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email