Re: Question about NVDA Beta Version

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marcio, you hadn't noticed it before, because it's a new process :)

Because we only release beta versions in the lead-up to a new stable version (unlike alpha builds, which we release every few days, or sometimes several in a day), we had made it so the beta version automatically rolls over to the final stable version when it comes out.

So, if you install 2019.2beta1, when the final 2019.2 comes out, your beta version will update to that version.  If you don't do anything else, you're back on the "stable" channel, and you'll next update to 2019.3 when it comes out.

If you want to try beta versions of 2019.3, you'll need to download the beta when it comes out, and either run it as a temporary / portable copy, or install it, in which case the process will be the same (it will update to the stable version when it comes out).

If you want to test the more bleeding edge code, you can install the alpha builds, and they will keep updating to the latest alpha build - they won't change channels on you.

So, in summary - there's no branch which will automatically update you from the beta builds of 2019.2 to the beta builds of 2019.3 when it comes out, you'll need to keep an eye on our announcements and download the first beta you want to try of any given release.  What we are hoping, is that this change will make it easier for people to try out the beta versions, knowing they will be automatically updated to the stable version when it comes out without needing to do anything extra at that time.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:24 PM Marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,
I'm thinking about going back to the NVDA Beta Version. Currently, I'm on the "official" channel.

Before I can think more about it I have a question.
I was reading this edition of NVDA In Process and I just noticed something that I haven't noticed before.
If you install the beta version, when the final NVDA 2019.2 comes out, it will update to that version automatically. In the lead up to NVDA 2019.3, you will need to manually download a new beta once one is released, if you wish.
Does it mean then that starting with NVDA Beta 2019.3 I won't get automatic updates anymore?

Sorry for asking it now but I really haven't noticed this detail before and today the question just came up.

I'll love to be an NVDA Beta user again :) just don't feel like downloading a new version all the time. It would be way better if it could update by itself as it is with all the other versions.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Quentin Christensen