I wasn't really looking for a discussion on that in this thread, more using that as an example where another screen reader provides its own keystroke which users feel is lacking in NVDA, and particularly where the reason NVDA doesn't follow suit, is that, like accessing the system tray, there is a built-in way to do it in Windows itself.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 7:30 PM Peter Beasley <pjbeasley23@...> wrote:

What’s wrong with windows key B which is that standard windows command for the system tray/notification area.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: 25 June 2019 05:37
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Keystrokes from other screenreaders NVDA does not have

The discussion in the Drag and drop thread around the system tray has got me thinking:

- The NV Access philosophy is that if Windows includes functionality which is accessible, why re-invent the wheel

- Users who come from other screen readers get confused when they are encouraged to use the Windows keystrokes for functionality they are used to being provided by the screen reader.

I was going to mention the "Switching from Jaws to NVDA" document in that thread, but in reading it just now, I noted that it does NOT, in fact, include how to perform tasks such as access the system tray.

So, can anyone please give me examples of functionality that other screen readers provide (such as INSERT+F11 to access the system tray), that NVDA expects people to use the Windows keystroke (WINDOWS+B in the case of the system tray) for?

I'd like to collate them and update the relevant documents with them, and potentially even make a document all its own if needed.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen