Re: Elements not being reported with NVDA

Jonathan COHN

Actually, this is not an NVDA bug, but a web page bug.

The ARIA-LABEL attribute completely replaces the name of the current element with that label.

I would recommend inserting a graphic to indicate the page will open in a new tab, and then add alternative text for the screen reader. The author could also, use aria-labeledby and use a reference to a bit of hidden text plus the current element but then they are providing information that apparently is not being presented to the sighted user.

With JAWS pressing insert-tab will read various information as it is pressed, and one could eventually get to the true text string. I an not sure if that works in NVDA. JAWS also has the ability to have per a web page settings that override badly written  web pages.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:40 AM
To: NVDA List <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Elements not being reported with NVDA
Importance: Low

Hi,
STR:

1. Take a look at this article.
  2. Note that in every link, NVDA just reports "(opens in a new tab").
  3. However, looking at the source code, we can seethe real link with its description.

What's preventing NVDA from reporting the description apparently is an HTML tag. I searched a bit and could understand it but not enough for explain it here, so I'll just give an example.

Look at this part of the article:
We can show you how to (opens in a new tab).

Now its source code:

We can show you how to <a href="https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/run-chkdsk-utility-xp/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener" aria-label=" (opens in a new tab)">fix file system errors in Windows with CHKDSK</a>. </p>

In light of this, is there any workaround so that NVDA reports the description inside a <a href> tag apart from resorting to the source code of the page?

Finally, maybe this is something that can be fixed in an NVDA update altogether?

Sorry for the long message, but I needed to explain the entire story  before asking my question.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.