Re: Reading PDF Files with NVDA - How to?

g melconian

There are accessible PDF extensions in chrome the you can use as well like

On July 4, 2019 6:06:00 PM "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

Ok there's a few issues there.  Let's see what I can help with:

Re reading the group emails and instructions - do you mean you can read the emails fine, you just can't follow the instructions?  (If so, please let us know which specific ones if the rest of this doesn't help).

Firefox has a built-in PDF viewer, but it isn't as accessible as Adobe Reader.  In Firefox press ALT+T then O to go to the options. TAB down to "Search file types or applications", type PDF and press ENTER.  Then press TAB once to the list of file types and PDF.  Tab again to "Preview in Firefox" and down arrow to "Use Adobe Reader DC".  PDF files you open from web pages should now open in Adobe reader.

You should be able to read PDF files in Adobe reader by either using NVDA's reading commands (eg say all with NVDA+down arrow or NVDA+A) or arrows etc.  If the file won't read at all, it's likely it is made as an image of text.  In that case you can try using NVDA's OCR function to read it - press NVDA+R to recognise, then use the reading commands.  If it is an image of text, however, it is worth writing to the original author to advise them that it is not accessible, as OCR does have its limiations.

I haven't tried Atlantis lately, so I can't comment on how well it works.  If it isn't accessible (and I'll leave it to others to offer more wisdom on that), then you might consider Jarte as a word processor which is not Word, or Libre Office.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 9:36 AM Francis Leadley <leadleyfrancis0@...> wrote:
I understand my own e-mails it's the e-mails on the website nvda.groups.io I do not
understand and the instrutions in the help file

I am tring to get the NVDA  to work for me.   I am 76 years old and have been sick for
66 years of them  and am loosing my ability  to use my hands and my vision.

Firefox will not read PDF files it will read other things but i can not get it to read PDF that is why i have NVDA but it will not read them.

I also can not get it to read  Acrobat Reader DC files; It sometimes will read one line or a part of a line then stops

I have another program called Atlantis word processor that i use.  it is like Microsoft office and ir will read as i type but will not read doc in it.

I have win 10 up to date
Firefox up to date
Acrobat reader up to date
NVDA  up to date
Atlantis up to date

I have  Multiple Sclerosis and am in need of help.  If you are not able to help me set up NVDA  and my Computer  so it will read to me will you please send me to some one who can.

My vision is Double in both eyes, so i see four of everything i look at  and i have no depth in my vision most of the time

It has taken Me about six hours to type this e-mail. part of it is copy and past.

Tks.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:17 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
It's your own e-mail, so if you don't understand it then . . .

Have you run the accessibility wizard in Acrobat Reader DC?    Are you trying to read in Acrobat Reader DC itself?  Are you trying to read the PDF within Firefox using the Reader plug-in?

It's impossible to give advice of any value unless the exact circumstances of where the problem is occurring are accurately described.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

--
Quentin Christensen