Re: Reading PDF Files with NVDA - How to?

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Quentin,
It looks like he's talking about instructions to use NVDA.
And if I'm not mistaken Francis is asking for 1on1 help with,
learning how to use NVDA in general,
And configure programs like acrobat reader for accessibility.
Plus learning how too use the mentioned programs with NVDA in specific.
And what I've understood from the post is he's having great difficulty
with writing e-mails do to his condition as well, I think dictation
would be the way to go in that case.
And I believe the best way to help him is to find a volunteer to start
training him if available.

Ok there's a few issues there. Let's see what I can help with:

Re reading the group emails and instructions - do you mean you can read the
emails fine, you just can't follow the instructions? (If so, please let us
know which specific ones if the rest of this doesn't help).

Firefox has a built-in PDF viewer, but it isn't as accessible as Adobe
Reader. In Firefox press ALT+T then O to go to the options. TAB down to
"Search file types or applications", type PDF and press ENTER. Then press
TAB once to the list of file types and PDF. Tab again to "Preview in
Firefox" and down arrow to "Use Adobe Reader DC". PDF files you open from
web pages should now open in Adobe reader.

You should be able to read PDF files in Adobe reader by either using NVDA's
reading commands (eg say all with NVDA+down arrow or NVDA+A) or arrows
etc. If the file won't read at all, it's likely it is made as an image of
text. In that case you can try using NVDA's OCR function to read it -
press NVDA+R to recognise, then use the reading commands. If it is an
image of text, however, it is worth writing to the original author to
advise them that it is not accessible, as OCR does have its limiations.

I haven't tried Atlantis lately, so I can't comment on how well it works.
If it isn't accessible (and I'll leave it to others to offer more wisdom on
that), then you might consider Jarte as a word processor which is not Word,
or Libre Office.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 9:36 AM Francis Leadley <leadleyfrancis0@...>
wrote:

I understand my own e-mails it's the e-mails on the website
nvda.groups.io
I do not
understand and the instrutions in the help file

I am tring to get the NVDA to work for me. I am 76 years old and have
been sick for
66 years of them and am loosing my ability to use my hands and my
vision.

Firefox will not read PDF files it will read other things but i can not
get it to read PDF that is why i have NVDA but it will not read them.

I also can not get it to read Acrobat Reader DC files; It sometimes will
read one line or a part of a line then stops

I have another program called Atlantis word processor that i use. it is
like Microsoft office and ir will read as i type but will not read doc in
it.

I have win 10 up to date
Firefox up to date
Acrobat reader up to date
NVDA up to date
Atlantis up to date

I have Multiple Sclerosis and am in need of help. If you are not able
help me set up NVDA and my Computer so it will read to me will you
please
send me to some one who can.

My vision is Double in both eyes, so i see four of everything i look at
and i have no depth in my vision most of the time

It has taken Me about six hours to type this e-mail. part of it is copy
and past.

Tks.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:17 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

It's your own e-mail, so if you don't understand it then . . .

Have you run the accessibility wizard in Acrobat Reader DC? Are you
trying to read in Acrobat Reader DC itself? Are you trying to read the
PDF
within Firefox using the Reader plug-in?

It's impossible to give advice of any value unless the exact
circumstances of where the problem is occurring are accurately
described.

*The color of truth is grey.*

~ André Gide

--