Re: Making NVDA reconsider focus

Quentin Christensen

Is it one browser particularly or all browsers which do this?  Certainly it's not desired behaviour, but I can't replicate it myself just now.

Two things I can think to try though:
- Are you using any add-ons which might steal focus or interrupt what is happening when you start your Browser?  Dropbox (from memory) did this at one point in Word, and I've heard of several anti-virus programs which do similar things.

- Otherwise, you could try running the COM registration fixing tool from NVDA's Tools menu.  This is designed to ensure that all needed DLL files are registered correctly.  Generally programs do this when they are installed, however sometimes installing or uninstalling programs can inadvertently deregister DLLs.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Perry Simm via Groups.Io <perry.simm=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Luke!
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:35 AM, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

> Perry, can you provide some examples of circumstances where you are having to
> alt-tab out and in of something to re-acquire focus?

Sure! The prime example is when I launch a program, such as a browser. A few seconds later, I know I'm in the address bar, and a sighted person can confirm this to me, but there's no speech indicating this. Focus is really in the address bar, and I can type into it. It's just that NVDA hasn't tracked it. Alt+tabbing out then back in resolves it for the moment.

> As an aside, glad to see another Proton Mail user!

I'm loving it! As a visitor to many worlds, I prefer to be intractable and untrackable.
Cheers Perry

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager