Re: new keyboard issue

One word of warning, if your laptop is older by 2-4 years there is a possability that there may be only older drivers for some things.

For my old cloud system, a 7th generation, while yes there are updates, the drivers have not been updated in months.

I have had to resort to windows update drivers and generic drivers to get things to work right.

The bios has only just got updated and another few programs but they could have been universal drivers.

On my system while there are updates, they are never the latest and lag behind.

So last month, ages after windows 1903 I got updates to drivers saying they were put out at the end of the month and I know they weren't, other drivers followed backdated but not on time.

Finally the bios showed up saying it had support for 1903 which could mean my laptop could have not started at all because 1903 was not supported.

Depending on how old your unit is and such you may be able to go cold terkey and just reformat and use generics.

I'd only do this if you had up to a 4th generation, not sure when they started using intergrated sound and display hardware but if you have a single headphone jack for both microphone and headphone chances are you are running one of the newer boards.

However if you have 2 plugs like it used to be, and especially if you have a manual volume control, you may be able to get away with a full reformat and running on generics.

Be warned that you will void all laptop support and other repair terms of your licence but if its that old well.

On my workstation a 4th generation intel, While I update the sound regularly the display has not been updated since 2018, and the bios has not been updated since 2016, drivers are slated for win7-xp, and I have just reformat and run on some manufacturer drivers and generics.

But it may not apply to you.

You may or may not get away with installing the driver that was the latest, and crossing your fingers and toes.

You could always try to update the drivers manually from device manager and use a generic, but be warned if you use the windows update drivers your system could get worse as those drivers are never always the best and never updated all the time.

You could also get the wrong drivers.

Look up the laptop manufacturer's website, they should include drivers for everything on that model (so look up the laptop model)

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM Marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Quentin,
The first thing I'd do is to try to work out which model you have, and look for an updated driver from the manufacturer.
As it is a laptop keyboard, could you please tell me how can I find what's the model? Would it be on the Devices Manager?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Quentin Christensen