Re: Making NVDA reconsider focus

Luke Davis

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, Perry Simm via Groups.Io wrote:

Sure! The prime example is when I launch a program, such as a browser. A few seconds later, I know I'm in the address bar, and a sighted person can confirm this to me, but there's no speech indicating this. Focus is really in the address bar, and I can type into it. It's just that NVDA hasn't tracked it. Alt+tabbing out then back in resolves it for the moment.
I would not call that a loss of focus, but a never gaining of focus.

And as you say, it's an old problem which has existed for many years, across many windows versions, NVDA versions, etc. Although I most commonly experience it when launching Firefox from the desktop for the first time after a restart.

I understood your initial problem differently--I do not have the message now before me, but some how I had gotten the impression that you had programs where the focus was correctly associated with a field, and then for some reason got lost, thus requiring a double alt-tab to re-acquire.

Luke