Re: Using both NVDA and JAWS

Arlene

Yes, control alt J is used for jaws short cut.  It’s after you set it up after installing jaws.  If Jaws with the letter J is on the desktop then you hit J once.  If you hit J with no screen reader  then Jaws will come up. Same with NVDAonly if you hit n or control alt n for NVDA to come up.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gene
Sent: July 15, 2019 9:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using both NVDA and JAWS

Unless this has changed, control alt j is not automatically assigned as a shortcut by JAWS.  I haven't used JAWS for many years but in the past, users would set that short cut command using the shortcut JAWS would put on the desktop.

Unless you know the shortcut is there, with NVDA running, go to the desktop, press home then type j until you get to JAWS.  Remember how many times you pressed j so you can start JAWS without control alt j.  After you press j the needed number of times, press enter.

If you use Windows key m to go to the desktop, to be sure you are on it when no screen-reader is running, press it three times.

I believe Windows key d takes you to the desktop reliably the first time you execute the command but on some keyboards, it is a very inconvenient command to use and Windows key m three times is far more convenient.

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 7:21 PM

hi.
i have jaws and Nvda on my laptop. probably the best option is to turn off one screen reader and start the other. press Nvda plus q to exit Nvda. press control alt j to start jaws. depending on your keyboard layout press caps lock or insert plus f4 to exit jaws.
hope this helps 😊