Re: Using both NVDA and JAWS

Gene

It isn't guesswork if you prepare.  It is much more convenient to assign a shortcut key but I explained how to run JAWS without one because one isn't automatically assigned.  When NVDA is running, you go to the desktop, press home, and type j until you get to the JAWS icon.  You count the number of times.  Then you know how many times to press J when no screen-readers are running.  Knowing how to do things without speech and having confidence that you can is a skill that is useful at times.  It can help you troubleshoot on occasion.  I'll provide an example or two if people are interested.

and there may be times you don't want control j as the JAWS shortcut.  You may not want one at all.  I almost never use JAWS but I want to demo available in case it is useful to run it.  Now and then, I would accidentally execute the JAWS control alt j shortcut.  Maybe I would be executing control alt h and my finger would accidently press j at the same time.  I didn't want the inconvenience of having JAWS start now and then accidently.  I didn't want to use another shortcut key because I use a lot of them.  So I have no shortcut key assigned to JAWS.  If I want to run it, I unload NVDA, go to the desktop, press home, type j once, and press enter.  On my system one press of j takes me to the JAWS icon.

From: JM Casey
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 11:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using both NVDA and JAWS

The assigning of the hotkey is not automatic,. And I had thought the startup wizard allowed an opportunity to set one, but I just checked, and it doesn’t, so you would have to do it the traditional way.

Just my opinion of course, but hitting j several times until you (hopefully) get to the right programme seems a bit tenuous and too much like guesswork, to me. Much easier to just invoke the run box and type in the name of the jaws version you have installed and want to run. By now I’m probably going to start attaining the nickname Mr. Run-box around here. *grins*