Re: Using both NVDA and JAWS

Hi
Both Jaws and NVDA do have command for calling via the run dialog so we just remember its command, and type exactly. Other member has told this
For installed version of NVDA:
nvda
Start NVDA normaly
nvda -r
restart NVDA
nvda -q
Quit NVDA
Jawsxxxx (where xxxx your Jaws version): start Jaws

On 7/16/2019 12:06 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Why not put a shortcut and call it jfw into c:\windows\system32 then just from the run dialogue when you want to want to start nvda type nvda.

I do this with a lot of programs and shortcuts I use on windows and it makes my workflow much faster.
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 15 Jul 2019, at 21:15, JM Casey wrote:

The assigning of the hotkey is not automatic,. And I had thought the startup wizard allowed an opportunity to set one, but I just checked, and it doesn’t, so you would have to do it the traditional way.

Just my opinion of course, but hitting j several times until you (hopefully) get to the right programme seems a bit tenuous and too much like guesswork, to me. Much easier to just invoke the run box and type in the name of the jaws version you have installed and want to run. By now I’m probably going to start attaining the nickname Mr. Run-box around here. *grins*

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: July 16, 2019 12:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using both NVDA and JAWS

Unless this has changed, control alt j is not automatically assigned as a shortcut by JAWS.  I haven't used JAWS for many years but in the past, users would set that short cut command using the shortcut JAWS would put on the desktop. 

Unless you know the shortcut is there, with NVDA running, go to the desktop, press home then type j until you get to JAWS.  Remember how many times you pressed j so you can start JAWS without control alt j.  After you press j the needed number of times, press enter.

If you use Windows key m to go to the desktop, to be sure you are on it when no screen-reader is running, press it three times. 

I believe Windows key d takes you to the desktop reliably the first time you execute the command but on some keyboards, it is a very inconvenient command to use and Windows key m three times is far more convenient.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Using both NVDA and JAWS

hi.
i have jaws and Nvda on my laptop. probably the best option is to turn off one screen reader and start the other. press Nvda plus q to exit Nvda. press control alt j to start jaws. depending on your keyboard layout press caps lock or insert plus f4 to exit jaws.
hope this helps 😊

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.