Re: how to check spelling of a suggested word in spellchecker if you don't have a numpad on the laptop

Dan Thompson

Very big thank you Quentin!

God bless.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 6:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to check spelling of a suggested word in spellchecker if you don't have a numpad on the laptop

Hi Dan,

Numpad 5 is the desktop keyboard layout keystroke for "report current word in review".  If you have a laptop which does not have a dedicated numberpad, you might consider setting NVDA to use laptop keyboard layout from NVDA's keyboard settings (press NVDA+control+k to open the keyboard settings directly).  If you are using laptop keyboard layout, the command to report the current word is NVDA+control+. (NVDA, control, full stop or period).

Note on many laptops, the Fn key can be used with other keys as the number pad.  Usually this uses the 7, 8 and 9 on the number row as those keys, U, I, O as 4, 5, 6 and K, L, ; as 1, 2, 3 etc.  You'd have to work out which key did "numlock" in that case to ensure it was "off" (with numlock on, pressing numpad 5 will result in the number 5 being pressed in any case).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:37 AM Dan Thompson <dmt031073@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I can check the spelling of a suggested word when using spellchecker using NVDA  by tabbing to the list of suggestions and pressing Numpad 5 twice to have the word spelled.

But what can be done for a laptop that doesn’t have a Numpad to get the same information?  Thanks in advance.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!