greetings from a new user, making transition from JAWS2018 using Win10 and looking for tips and tricks and default program suggestions

Phil Jenkins gmail

Greetings folks

I’m a 20+ year user of JAWS. Not necessarily because it has been the ‘best’ but rather because it was what my employer and uni’ provided and it simply became habitual. Now I have to pay for all upgrades myself, and not really enjoying the ‘drug pusher’  like relationship JAWS has with its users, I have decided to make the slow but sure move to NVDA. I’ve heard great things about the screen reader and in fact I’ve heard in many cases I should be able to do things with NVDA that I cannot do with JAWS.

So my PC is Windows10 with MS-Office.

1                     Is there a document that gives NVDA equivalent keyboards commands as JAWS, ie if you did X ion JAWS then do Y in NVDA? Presumably the ‘access’ key is the zero on the num pad that JAWS uses?

2                     What is the best default email client and web browser to use with  NVDA? Have experience of Outlook, Outlook Express, poor experience of  Thunderbird. Have used I#e, Firefox and Chrome. No experience of Edge.

3                     Music player? WMP or WinAmp or something else?

4                     Does NVDA work with any kind of ‘Open Office’ non MS office suite?

I guess the things I use the most with my old Win7Pro machine that I’m about to stop using and move to the Win10 machine are:

-          Outlook

-          - IE, Firefox (or Waterfox) and Chrome.

-          Word.

-          Audible Manager

-          Soundtaxi

-          Sendspace

-          Ccleaner

-          Secure Notes

-          Dropbox

-          WMP.

Thanks all and apologies if this question has been asked and asked again, feel free to point me at web resources that will answer my questions.

Kindest

PJ

~~~

As light fades, vision increases. Blind people have vision! ((c) Copyright Ciego 1997)

**Please note**

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this by mistake, please tell me immediately and delete the message and attachments. Changes or forwarding of this email or its attachments is prohibited unless authorised by me. This email and any attachments have been checked for malicious software before leaving my machine. You should install your own internet security package and check this message and any attachments before opening this message. I do not accept any responsibility for any malicious software sent with this message.

**THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT TO SAVE ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT**