From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Deborah Armstrong
Sent: 18 July 2019 22:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brltty, anything new

Well I discovered a few things.

On an old Windows 7 machine, which has a real serial port, I installed the latest Brltty which is

brltty-win-6.0-1-libusb-1.0

it's an .Exe file and a typical Windows installer. I picked TSI for my Braille display which loads the driver that supports both the PowerBraille and the Navigator.

Immediately Brltty loaded and displayed "no foreground window" which is typical behavior since the interface is graphical and Brltty only works at the console level.

Next I updated my NVDA to 2019.1 and after restarting it, I went to Preferences-Settings-Braille and picked Brltty as my Braille display. Before I could even select OK or apply, NVDA was communicating with my PowerBraille just fine.

So that worked flawlessly.

But when I set the output table to U.S. English 6-dot computer Braille, it is stillshowing dot 7 for anything capitalized. That of course makes BRF files look very funny because many translation programs show upper case letters for those characters.

I can always write a SED script to convert case, but I'd rather not spend the time to convert all the brf files I'd like to read.

I think this is a bug or maybe a flaw with the table.

The other weird thing is that for non-printing characters, such as the form-feed, Brltty shows the equivalent in hex "0x00C" which is annoying to have to read on the Braille display. I don't find a preference to suppress the display of non-printing characters, nor a way to suppress extra spaces or blank lines. Doing all this would make it easier to read BRF files, though for working with ordinary text, Word XLS and other types of files, NVDA on Windows 7 is doing great with Brltty still.

One thing that did reduce the number of weird characters was unchecking the box for "expand to computer Braille for the word at the cursor". If that box is checked the word at the cursor contains extra gibberish if you are looking at that word in a BRF file and you are using either the 6 or 8-dot computer Braille table. This seems unintuitive, but there you are!

Next I'll try Windows 10 and see if I can get brltty to work there. I also need to try that Braille extender add-on, thanks for the recommendation. I had used Brltty with NVDA extensively at work until my old Win7 machine was replaced with a shiny brand-new all-in-one running Windows 10. So, I  was glad to find an old one lying around I could test with.

--Debee