Re: Push Notifications With NVDA

Hi,

Actually, Windows+(Shift+)V for toast notifications, and Windows+A for Action Center (I get this sometimes while using Slack, so this is nothing new).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy B.
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 5:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Push Notifications With NVDA

Windows+a for notifications in Windows 10.

Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 8:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Push Notifications With NVDA

Ho, good point.  Not a lot of detail can be found on the web though.  So the big question: when Facebook sends notifications, you get a message no matter where you are?  Like "new notification from Facebook: ..."?  If so, these are Windows notifications and there are shortcut keys (I keep forgetting) to interact with them.  If that's the case, I'll comeback with more information on how to handle that.  Further, if that's the case, you should be able to find the shortcut keys, searching for Windows shortcut keys for notifications (there's a Windows + something or other to access the list, nothing specific to NVDA as far as I know).

That being said, it's just a guess.  Facebook could have NVDA dynamically read some messages on the page (though it wouldn't work when you're not on the Facebook website).  These messages may just be ARIA alerts.  If so, interacting with them as notifications should be supported by facebook (and probably isn't), there's no standard to do that.  ARIA alerts are good but not great (for me who use a Braille display as sole accessibility system with NVDA not speaking at all, ARIA alerts are useless).

HTH,

Vincent

On 7/19/2019 2:04 PM, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Vincent and Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I know about this add-on and it's indeed quite useful.
However these notifications I'm talking about aren't necessarily something on the browser. It's intended exactly for working outside the sites where they are coming from.
If enabled, notifications from FB, for example, would give us an alert when someone posts something, comments on any of our posts, sends us a message etc. The problem with it, though, is what I've said. NVDA  reports the notification on the desktop but it's apparently nowhere to be found so that we can interact with it, just like these toast ones.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.