Re: Alpine and Pico

Christopher Gray

Hi Luke:

I am using the Windows version of Alpine on a Windows 7 machine. The link to
find the
2.20 release is http://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/ which is actually the
release 2.21. But, there is no binary version of 2.21. Below the discussion of
2.21 are previous releases. I'm using 2.20. If you click its link, you can
then get the binary files for Alpine.

I really appreciate your willingness to have a look at this.

Chris

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019, Luke Davis via Groups.Io wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Christopher Gray wrote:

I use two fairly old pieces of software: the Alpine email client; the
Pico text
editor. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get this software to
work
with NVDA. It only shows a blank screen for me.
Firstly, please clarify: are you using these by installing them on your
windows machine, or using them by remote connection (ssh, telnet, etc.) to
some Linux/FreeBSD/similar machine?
There is even some kind of web version of alpine that you might be using.

I use alpine every day, and nano which is a more advanced version of the
really ancient pico that you are talking about, but not their windows
versions.

If you are using versions of these installed on your windows system, can you
tell us where you are getting them (with exact download links if possible),
so we can test out the exact software you are using?

Pico is particularly portable and I'm betting that the two programs have
the
same screen issues since they were written by the same source. I haven't
I'm not sure what you mean by portable in this context, unless you are just
talking about the fact that it's a single executable. If that is what you
mean, I suggest you don't be sending that to anyone. Who knows what
viruses/worms your computer might have, and many email providers (gmail, for
example) won't let you send executables anyway.
better to provide download links as I suggested above.

Luke

Have you considered Annual Giving or including a gift to Missouri Council of the Blind in
your Will or Estate Plan? Contact me as shown below and I can help you with this.

Christopher Gray, Executive Director
Missouri Council of the Blind

5453 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: (314) 832-7172
Toll-free: (800) 342-5632
Fax: (314) 832-7796

Like Jazz? Want to know more about jazz?
Tune into "A Journey into Jazz" with the Jazz Guys on the Global Voice, Chris and Don.
Listen live each Wednesday at 00:00 Utc, 7:00 P.M. Eastern, 4:00 P.M. Pacific
Find us by going to theglobalvoice.info/broadband.pls.
Can't listen live? go to theglobalvoice.info and choose the "Listen to
Past Shows" link any time during the week after each live broadcast.
You can also go to the link www.jazzguys.libsyn.com for the podcasts!
Or, subscribe to us through iTunes or TuneIn Radio.