Re: Can I change NVDA key commands

Hi,

I think part of the reason for going that route is our (NVDA developers’) assumption that gestures can encompass input methods such as keyboards, touch, braille, and so many possibilities. JAWS has issues with this too, in that the headquarters for configuring commands is called “keyboard manager” when in fact it can be used to assign braille and touchscreen shortcuts.

I think I saw a GitHub issue that asks NV Access to change this to something more meaningful – if I do find it and if there is justification for it, I’ll ask NV Access people to take a look at it again. If NVDA developers agree that it should be changed, it will be done for a future release (not now due to more important road paving operations taking place at the moment).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:12 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I change NVDA key commands

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 11:32 AM, Joseph Norton wrote:

I saw “input gestures” on the menu, but, thought it only applied to touch gestures, so didn’t try it.

I've actually complained on this list (but I don't think on github) about this very unfortunate choice of terminology.   Your presumption that gestures applies to touch actions is almost universal across the UI world.  Keyboard shortcuts are not gestures and never the twain shall meet.

There are often separate keyboard shortcuts and touch gestures to do the same thing which clearly indicates their separation as entities.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.