Re: In-Process 5th July

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Quentin, Gene and all,

Quentin, with windows 10 I have the same behavior as you have regarding the network icon, spacebar and enter work the same.

In some situations, such as my nextcloud or 1PASSWord icon, spacebar or enter does not do anything. The only way to access options is using the context menu key or shift=F10.

I hope this helps.

Best

Sylvie

Le 25/07/2019 à 12:43, Quentin Christensen a écrit :

Gene,

Thanks for your input.  I can't remember the exact wording Luke proposed, but it certainly got me thinking about your previous remarks on this issue.  We also asked Microsoft Accessibility, and their response (as per https://twitter.com/MSFTEnable/status/1148296440931868673 ) was: "In the notification area these ...(enter and spacebar)... can be used interchangeably. You can also use the application key or shift+f10 to open the context menu with additional options."

I think there's also a fine line between providing every possible option to cover every possible scenario, and giving the average user too much information at once.

Re your specific example of the network icon, my Windows 7 machine isn't playing nice at the moment, so I'll have to wait to test and see if I can find any other examples myself (I certainly believe you), I can confirm in Windows 10 that the network icon behaves the same when you press ENTER as it does when you press SPACEBAR.

If anyone does have any examples of notification area icons which behave differently between pressing space and enter.  Also, any examples of icons which won't work with the keyboard are useful to be aware of as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 7:46 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
These are probably my final comments about the system tray unless new information comes up. 

The article doesn't state that first letter navigation can be used in navigating the system tray.  Also, the article says that the system tray window available for early versions of Windows is no longer needed.  It is a dialog that the screen-reader displays.  Aside from that clarification, I and two others in the discussion that occurred not too long ago, said that there are on occasion, icons that can't be activated by using the system tray with keyboard commands directly.  NVDA developers should stop discounting the system tray dialog.  There are cases where it gives better access.  Such comments should not be made.  Even if there are a very few such icons, it may be more convenient for some users to use the system tray dialog, available as an add-on. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 5th July

I should correct my last message.  You say in older versions of Windows there is a distinction between double left click and single left click.  That is true.  You may be right about Windows 10 only having two ways of working with the system tray icons.  If so, then I was wrong in my last message where I said you gave incorrect information.  But this needs to be carefully checked, as your request for examples that disprove your Windows 10 statement implies. 

I can give you one specific instance that differs in Windows 7 and that you can test in Windows 10.  The following icon in Windows 7 distinguishes between space and enter.  The network icon, or connection icon, I'm not sure what the technical name is, only works properly if left single click, space bar, is used. 
I'm not sure exactly what happens when you use enter but it doesn't work properly.  As I recall a network flyout message is received. 

If this is tested in Windows 10 and the reaction is identical between enter and space and if no one else reports any differences, I withdraw my suspicions that the Windows description is incorrect.  But even if only one or two icons still distinguish between these commands, it should be stated without the qualification about earlier versions of Windows.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2019 11:56 PM
Subject: [nvda] In-Process 5th July

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2019.2 Beta 2, Mick taking a well-deserved break, updates to NVDACon and our Corporate page and details on accessing the Windows notification area, all in this week's In-Process!

Happy 4th of July to those in America, and happy weekend to everyone :)

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.