Re: In-Process 5th July

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Quentin, Gene and all,

Quentin, with windows 10 I have the same behavior as you have regarding the network icon, spacebar and enter work the same.

In some situations, such as my nextcloud or 1PASSWord icon, spacebar or enter does not do anything. The only way to access options is using the context menu key or shift=F10.

I hope this helps.

Best

Sylvie

Le 25/07/2019 à 12:43, Quentin Christensen a écrit :

Gene,

Thanks for your input.  I can't remember the exact wording Luke proposed, but it certainly got me thinking about your previous remarks on this issue.  We also asked Microsoft Accessibility, and their response (as per https://twitter.com/MSFTEnable/status/1148296440931868673 ) was: "In the notification area these ...(enter and spacebar)... can be used interchangeably. You can also use the application key or shift+f10 to open the context menu with additional options."

I think there's also a fine line between providing every possible option to cover every possible scenario, and giving the average user too much information at once.

Re your specific example of the network icon, my Windows 7 machine isn't playing nice at the moment, so I'll have to wait to test and see if I can find any other examples myself (I certainly believe you), I can confirm in Windows 10 that the network icon behaves the same when you press ENTER as it does when you press SPACEBAR.

If anyone does have any examples of notification area icons which behave differently between pressing space and enter.  Also, any examples of icons which won't work with the keyboard are useful to be aware of as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 7:46 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
These are probably my final comments about the system tray unless new information comes up.

The article doesn't state that first letter navigation can be used in navigating the system tray.  Also, the article says that the system tray window available for early versions of Windows is no longer needed.  It is a dialog that the screen-reader displays.  Aside from that clarification, I and two others in the discussion that occurred not too long ago, said that there are on occasion, icons that can't be activated by using the system tray with keyboard commands directly.  NVDA developers should stop discounting the system tray dialog.  There are cases where it gives better access.  Such comments should not be made.  Even if there are a very few such icons, it may be more convenient for some users to use the system tray dialog, available as an add-on.