Re: Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I’ve heard good things about sonology.

The thing that’s turning me off any of these NAS devices is the fact that software can change at a moments notice with a firmware update, as happened with netgear, and said firmware downgrade may be impossible. I’d rather get a refurbished computer (after all, all these NAS’s are is a computer), get one of those mediasonic proraid drive enclosures and install one of the pre-existing NAS programs for either Windows or Linux – this way you’re in complete control of what you get and when you get it. Of course, it all depends on what you do, but initial setup for most things really doesn’t sound difficult.

Just my opinion, however. After I was unable to downgrade the firmware of a netgear NAS for a friend, that turned me off of them quite a lot. Of course your mileage may vary, and certain companies may be better than others.

Best of luck!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: July 28, 2019 9:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.