Re: cells in Excel not reading after a cell is typed in

Chris Mullins

Hi

I’m not sure if this applies to Excel 365 but it does in my Excel 2007 version.  In the Excel options, advanced category, the first field in the dialog is a check box entitled:

“After pressing enter, move selection”

If this box is checked the combo box following it can be set to Up, Down, Left, Right and when pressing enter after typing into a cell,focus is moved accordingly and the cell you have just left does not get read out, it just announces the co-ordinates of the cell focus has moved to.

If the check box is left unchecked, the related combo box is greyed out.  Pressing enter will announce the data just entered, the co-ordinates of the cell and focus  remains in the cell

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: 30 July 2019 15:23
To: Governor staten; nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] cells in Excel not reading after a cell is typed in

Hello,

Try typing nvda-tab and see if the cursor is in the cell or the editing region. For me, after hitting return when inputting data into a cell, the focus went back from the editor panel to the cell and I heard “cell C7” when I hit insert-tab. If instead you hear “edit cell edit focused” type escape and it should tell you the cell coordinates.

Jonathan

Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] cells in Excel not reading after a cell is typed in

After typing into a cell, we press enter to exit the cell. After we've exited from a cell, it reads cell contents, but no column and row information. It read column and row information before we edited anything. After we have edited a cell, it no longer reads the column and row information, as I'm sure it should.

On 7/29/2019 9:30 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

I'm actually not clear on what the issue here is.  Are you saying after editing a cell, when you move around the worksheet NVDA isn't reading cell coordinates (A1, B5, etc)?  If that, is it reading them before editing the cell?  In NVDA's Document settings (NVDA+control+d) there is an option to report "cell coordinates" (alt+o on that page), although that shouldn't have anything to do with editing a cell.

Otherwise, the usual things to check:

1) You said you were running 2019.1.1 so it's unlikely you recently installed that, but since we did release 2019.2 rc2 today, if you update versions, be sure to restart the computer.

2) Are you using any add-ons?  Try pressing NVDA+q, then down arrow to "restart with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER.

If neither of those help, could you provide exact steps to repro, as well as what is happening (and what should happen) and a copy of your NVDA log (perhaps at Debug level, since it sounds like it's just not reading something you're expecting it to read, where it may not be generating an error).  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for info on log files.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:07 AM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:

I think I'm experiencing a similar, if not exactly the same, issue as well with the latest version of NVDA and Excel 2016/365.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.