Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

Thanks for the clarification. The problem I have is that because I accidentally changed the rate whilst in excel, NVDA no longer seems to respect the global setting so in your example if I go to firefox which is using the normal profile and change the rate, my speech rate changes no longer apply to excel. I have to adjust the rate when I go back in to excel and this would also apply to other custom settings. To keep things simple, I think the option to have settings apply across the board would be easier to deal with. In jaws for example, the behaviour is that any changes you make via keyboard shortcuts to adjust speech rate apply globally. But if you manually go in to jaws settings for a specific app and change things via the settings dialogues, then those changes apply to that specific app only. Perhaps an option could be introduced which allows you to enable global changes via shortcuts to apply across the board, but if someone wants specific settings they have to go in to the settings dialogue to change the settings permanently? Either that or a priority system could be introduced for profiles where various aspects of settings can be given priority based on the global settings. So for example if the global speech settings have a priority of 1 for excel but I set excel's priority to 2, NVDA would respect my global preferences for a given settings category first. Of course if someone has a way I can revert a certain aspect of excel's settings such as the speech rate instead of me deleting the profile and starting over, please let me know. That would also solve the problem. As things stand, because i accidentally changed my speech rate I have to delete the excel profile and start over, being careful not to change my speech rate or voice settings whilst in excel.

Cheers,,

Mo.

On 01/08/2019 03:49, Quentin Christensen wrote:
When you create a profile for a program, it saves only those changes to settings you make while that program is active.

So if I have a profile for Excel, and my normal profile I use for everything else, if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert.  If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.  So, if you change the speech rate while using the "normal" profile, and you haven't changed it while using any other programs with their own rates set, then yes it will work everywhere.

There isn't a way that will let you have configuration profiles for different apps to save SOME settings, but not speech rate.  So, the other question perhaps is, which is more important to you: being able to adjust the speech rate at any point and have it apply across the board?  OR having the current restriction on "global" speech rate changes, but being able to set other NVDA settings on a per-program basis?

Quentin

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@...> wrote:
Hello Everyone.

     I am using NVDA with different profiles for various programs. I am
wondering if there is any way to get NVDA to respect the global speech
rate I have set as I switch between programs? The speech rate is
something I'm not really interested in customising on a per program
basis. At the moment, if I slow the speech rate down then go in to excel
for example, the last speech rate that was set in relation to my excel
profile is loaded. I can see how this would be useful for some but I
would like the option of using the global setting per profile for
certain items if possible. Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Mo.

--
Quentin Christensen