Re: NVDA and Paragraph Settings in MS Word, Jarte too?

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

A paragraph in Word is any piece of text which ends with a hard return - as in, you type something, press ENTER, that's a paragraph.  It doesn't matter if it is a word, or a thousand words (probably best to aim for somewhere in between).  As you type words with just space in between, Word will move across the line, then "wrap" to the next line once you reach a word which would go over the right margin.  Unfortunately since most fonts generally used are variable-width fonts, I can't even tell you the limit is X characters, since MMM is a lot wider than III unless you use a fixed-width font (which is generally considered not as readable visually).

Note that if, like me, you are in the habit of pressing ENTER twice to end a paragraph and start a new one, Word will consider that TWO paragraphs - the blank line in the middle, which ends with a hard enter, is also considered a paragraph.  Word prefers that you have your text setup to add space after paragraph (in the paragraph dialog).  The default on my copy of Word is 8pt.

BTW, you mentioned using ALT+O to get to the paragraph settings in the ribbon in Word?  Word tells me alt+o is the start of a sequence from an earlier version of Word.  The paragraph settings are on the home ribbon which is alt+h.  You could tab from there, or you could press control+right arrow to jump from the clipboard section (the first section in the home ribbon) to font, then again to paragraph and then tab.  At least that's how it works on my Office 365.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:45 PM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
Hello Group Members,

I am using the ribbon to establish my paragraph and font settings in
MS Word, linespacing also.
I use alt-o when in the document to open the ribbon and tab through
paragraph settings, selectin 0.5 inches left, 1 inch right.

When reading my document, is it automatic that after so many
sentences, I press enter, will a new paragraph begin at 0.5 inches?
NVDA does not always indicate the indent.

Is there a word or sentence minimum that determines if a block of text
is a paragraph?

How do I carry these paragraph settings over to Jarte?

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

--