Re: how to build add-ons for NVDA

Andy B.

The last I knew, you had to obtain an API key from Blackboard to use their APIs. I checked into this a few years ago because a professor wanted me to do something similar. Blackboard’s response was that I needed to have administrator privileges to the Blackboard install assigned to my school. Since I couldn’t get that, nothing resulted because I was only listed in Blackboard as a student. You can download your assignments, but not grades. The best I can say is to keep a spreadsheet of your grades.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to build add-ons for NVDA

Hi Joseph,

At this point it would be my own add-on till I get it doing whaat I want.  I could build a web browser extension to so it could go either way I suppose.  The problem is it makes things easier in this case it's not an accessibility issue at all.  I'd like it to be able to download my assignments by authentification, my grades and maybe a few other things.

On 8/7/2019 6:46 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Scott and others,

In regards to a guide on writing NVDA add-ons, yes there is one.

However, before we go any further, think carefully if your proposal is unique to NVDA. If it is an app that can be made accessible yet the developer is unwilling to take action, then it should be an add-on. If it is a feature that can be done through web browser extensions, then no, it should not be an NVDA add-on unless we get a really good justification or two.

The reason I ask you to think carefully about this is because the add-ons community has received proposals similar to yours in the past. After discussing with the community, some did become add-ons, while others became something else, the biggest criteria being if a proposal is something that is unique to NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Berry
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to build add-ons for NVDA

Hi Brian,

Yes I have programmed before.  I am not a python programmer but should be able to pick that up.  Is there a nvda gettingstarting guide for the actual add-on process?

On 8/7/2019 10:33 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Scott,

Do you have any background in programming in any language?   NVDA and its add-ons are written in Python, but a programmer can pick up on new programming languages reasonably easily.   Python is not impossible to learn by any means, but learning to program is not a trivial task and requires significant commitment to see it through.

It also sounds like you're describing something that would interface with Blackboard, Moodle, or similar.   If so, those are entirely accessible via normal web browsing methods.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

-- 
Scott Berry <br>
Certified Medical Office Assistant, Associates in Allied Health, Patient Advocate
Please boogie on over to our site at:
http://www.berrysadvocating.biz
-- 
Scott Berry <br>
Certified Medical Office Assistant, Associates in Allied Health, Patient Advocate
Please boogie on over to our site at:
http://www.berrysadvocating.biz

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.