Re: Changing Braille symbols

Quentin Christensen

Are you correcting symbols which are incorrect in the table?  Or customizing because you'd rather have it setup your way?

If the table is incorrect then we can raise an issue against LibLouis to have it corrected so you don't need to keep editing it to correct it yourself.  If it is just for you, I must admit, I haven't tried editing the Braille tables myself, so hopefully someone else can answer.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:46 AM Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm using only Braille with NVDA, can't hear the speech synthesizer in a
meaningful way.  The braille tables are handled by liblouis but I always
find myself changing some symbols: the one for tab which I always
replace (but not to replace it with spaces, I'm coding in Python and
need to see the difference).  I'm using the French braille tables and
both 8 and 6 dot definition imports a common braille table in which some
symbols are defined. These definitions don't make sense for computer 8,
so I tend to change some of them, particularly symbols that are defined
on multiple cells.

To my dismay, I realized manually editing the .cti file didn't work
anymore in NVDA.  Whether that's purposeful or not, I do not know, NVDA
refuses to start (or at least, the Braille refuses to start) if I modify
the file, even if my modifications are correct.  If there's an error in
the log, I cannot tell.  So I had to install NVDA again to get rid of
the issue... and lose my modifications in the Braille tables.  Is there
any "recommended" way to do what I want to do?  Relying as heavily on
Braille symbols, I would really like to have control over them.

Thanks!

Vincent

--
Quentin Christensen