Re: Footnotes in LibreOffice

kelby carlson

Open Office unfortunately has similar issues. I may contact Libre Office and see if they will do something.

On Aug 8, 2019, at 9:39 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

I think I would definitely push the blame here onto LibreOffice.  Even if not for this issue, for most of the issues with LibreOffice.  The problem we have is that many of these issues require collaboration from LibreOffice to correctly expose the information we need.  If they don't do that, it may or may not be possible to workaround, but it makes it a lot more work for us.

I haven't used Jaws lately, but I would expect the same issues likely exist.  That's the other reason why the company who make the (LibreOffice) software are best to fix it - if they correctly expose information and use standard controls, etc.  It's likely that it will then just work, not only in NVDA, but with Jaws, Narrator, or other screen reading software.

If you're looking for a free word processor, you might also try Open Office - i haven't kept up to date with who has which features and which works better, but each time someone asks which free suite is better, various people recommend each.  For just a word processor, Jarte is another one to try.  I don't know about using footnotes in any of those.  I'd also say, if you really need those advanced word processing features, it really might be worth considering biting the bullet, and buying Office (either a subscription or an outright version).  Microsoft have been a lot more forthcoming in working with us than LibreOffice, and that is the main reason why it works a lot better with NVDA.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
Thanks. It is pretty important in scholarly writing to be able to accurately and easily create footnotes; the fact that NVDA cannot do this with Libre Office unfortunately makes the program unfit for serious writing. I wonder if JAWS has this issue as well, or is it universal?

On Aug 8, 2019, at 5:39 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Small update to this: I noticed that LibreOffice 6.3 was released overnight.  I tried with that this morning and confirmed the issue of footnote numbers not being read when navigating in the footnote section is still present.  I have created an issue on our issue tracker:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10060  Please feel free to subscribe to that issue, or comment on it if you have more information.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:13 AM Quentin Christensen via Groups.Io <quentin=nvaccess.org@groups.io> wrote:
To jump from the body of the page to the footnote section, press CONTROL+SHIFT+PAGE DOWN.  To jump from the footnote section back to the body, press CONTROL+PAGE DOWN.

If found control+page down in their shortcut keys list, and guessed the other one (I mean, I tried it and it worked for me!): https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer

I haven't figured out how to get it to read the number though.

I was using Libre Office 6.1.3.2.  I just downloaded the installer for 6.2.5.2 and installed it, rebooted and .... noticed that the LIbre Office version number in the help menu is still 6.1.3.2, so not sure what's happened there...

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 12:33 AM kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
I am still interested if anybody has suggestions on this issue.

--
Kelby Carlson

--
Quentin Christensen