Re: Issues when using NVDA with comments in MS Word

Quentin Christensen

1. NVDA doesn't announce anything while entering a comment section.  By pressing Alt+R, N,  we can enter the next comment in the document, NVDA successfully enters the comment section, but no announcement is made. When I arrow up and down to read the text, it is then an announcement is made. It states comment section, then reads out the text in the comment section.  Sometimes no announcement is made while exiting to the main body of the text also.
2. No announcement is made while jumping from one comment to the other. When in a particular comment you can simply jump to the next by pressing say all command or by simply Ctrl and down arrow, NVDA doesn't announce comments being jumped. You wouldn't know in which comment you are. It is very difficult to know where a particular comment ends.
3. Impossible to edit a comment without entering the comment section. Using the letter A in browse mode, it is possible to jump from comment mark up to comment mark up within the body of the main text, but it is not possible to edit it from there itself. After navigating to a particular mark up, the context menu after pressing the application key doesn't provide the option of editing the comment. Although, I think I remember seeing the edit option once, I'm not sure though.

Hi Akshaya,

For 1) When I press ALT+R, N, NVDA reports: "Ribbon Tabs  tab control  expanded
Review  tab  selected  Alt, R  9 of 15
Microsoft Word Document  edit  multi line
Comments  frame
section 1
<Reads comment>"

For 2)  That's an interesting bug, particularly as CONTROL+UP ARROW does NOT move you to the previous comment, and it is something NVDA is doing - without NVDA running, control+up / down arrow move you between paragraphs in the one comment (and to the end of the last paragraph in the current comment).  Turning on NVDA's experimental UIA support in Word, control+up and down arrow work as they should.  Interestingly the first time I tried enabling UIA, comment text was not read at all, but turning it off and on again seemed to fix it (UIA enabled now does read the comment correctly and the caret stays within the comment, unless you press ALT+DOWN ARROW or ALT+UP ARROW which seems to be a Word command, as it works like that even without NVDA running)

3) It's an odd oversight, but that one is Microsoft's oversight rather than ours.  I'd noticed it as well and don't have an answer, other than to suggest raising it with Microsoft.

I've created an issue for #2: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10073

Quentin.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:
Hello guys,
I'm facing several following issues while using NVDA with word:
[...]

I would be grateful for any help in these issues. I would say, NVDA not announcing anything while entering a comment section and while jumping one comment section to the other  is creating most difficulty and ambiguity for me.

Regards

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager