Re: strange message

Quentin Christensen

Please see my previous message - I gave you several suggestions for how to get the message and / or information about what is causing it.

What you are trying to do certainly can work - you can start the computer with Jaws running, then exit Jaws and start NVDA - I'm not sure whether there is a delay in Jaws exiting and whether that could cause an odd message.

Either way, see if you can get the log or speech viewer text of the exact message and let's see if we can go from there.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:36 AM cecropia64 <cecropia64@...> wrote:

okay, what other info do you need??? the only other thing i can tell you is that when it starts the message, it sounds like it is in spanish.?? does that help at all???

Ok, but we're still going to need more information in order to try to help you...

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:24 AM cecropia64 <cecropia64@...> wrote:

oh, sorry.?? yes, i have both nvda and jaws on my system when i first boot up, it is in jaws.?? then before i do anything i switch to nvda.?? that is when i get the weird message.?? it doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is very annoying.

stew

Hi Stew,

Without the actual message itself, it's not much to go on to try to help you. :)

When you say "switching to NVDA", do you mean, from another screen reader, or by waking it up after you've had NVDA in sleep mode, or bringing up an NVDA settings dialog... or something else I haven't guessed?

If you can get that exact message you are receiving, that would quite possibly help.?? NVDA has a speech viewer.?? It only works while NVDA is running, so based on what you've said, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get to it or not, but just in case: Press NVDA+n to bring up the NVDA menu, then T for tools, then down arrow once to speech viewer and press ENTER.?? The speech viewer window opens and takes focus - so you might need to alt+tab back to wherever you were.?? Anything NVDA speaks now should appear in the speech viewer. You can alt+tab back to the speech viewer window to read or copy what has been said.

Alternatively, you can set NVDA's log to Input/Output or Debug, which will capture the speech and other detail in the log.?? Press NVDA+control+g to open NVDA's general settings.?? TAB to "Logging level" and use the down arrow to increase the logging level, then press ENTER when done.?? The log is saved to the %temp% folder as nvda.log.?? If you need to restart NVDA to overcome the problem you are having, that's fine, the previous log is also kept as nvda-old.log.

If keeping a log at a high level like debug, it does save everything including keystrokes, so don't log in to your internet banking then post the log to the email list :)

Otherwise, what program are you in when you get this message - and did you say restarting NVDA helps??? If so, instead of restarting, if you press ALT twice, or alt+tab to another program and back, does that help?

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:50 AM cecropia64 <cecropia64@...> wrote:
hi folks

i am getting a strange message after switching to NVDA.?? i get a message
that says icon and then some gibberish that i can't understand.?? it is
very fast and i think it says something about passive scan or
something.?? the real issue is that the only way i can get rid of it is
to restart NVDA.?? has anyone else had this issue and how can i get rid
of it without having to restart. thanks

stew

--
Quentin Christensen