Re: Audio theme 3d - request of removal from the official website due to missing maintenance

Kevin Cussick

I agree as well.

On 21/08/2019 23:28, Ian Blackburn wrote:
I totally agree with this approach this was the problem with window eyes this seems to be every ad on known to window eyes on its archive with no check whether it still worked
On 22 Aug 2019, at 6:16 am, Adriani Botez <adriani.botez@... <mailto:adriani.botez@...>> wrote:
Hello all,
to clarify abit my request, with incompatible addons I meant the addons where no maintenance is given, where we lost contact to the author etc. Those addons should in my opinion go offline for a period until a maintainer is found.
For developers, the old versions of every addon can be found most often on github anyway. For the users, it is important that people do not run into issues and do not get the impression that NVDA is getting worse. We want to avoid huge workloads which could arise if people report unrelated issues on github, driving long discussions in which at the end it comes out the issue was caused by an old addon.
The justification for my request is as follows:
The community has implemented rules and processes for addons which can be posted on the website. That’s why we have a community review for every new addon at all. And by the way, the community review contains also compatibility checks. If this is not given, the new addon is not being posted. So is it not unfair to have an old and abandoned addon on the website while other engaged authors create new addons and apply for a review but they do not get posted? In my view, the addons website should guarantee security and compatibility for users. Otherwise we can drop all our review rules and processes and can post anything on the website.
But note that this official addons website is also the face of the NVDA community when it comes to corporate environments. We must make sure that people are able to bring arguments when security questions are raised. How should users bring reliable arguments when incompatible addons and most important, addons which cause significant bugs, can be downloaded from the official website?
So the question is, what should be the purpose of an official addon website? If you expect the addons website to be an archive for all kinds of old and incompatible addons along with new addons, then we do not need to spend time and ressources on reviewing addons at all. But I hope the community will not choose this way.
Best regards
Adriani
*Von:* adriani.botez@... <mailto:adriani.botez@...> <adriani.botez@... <mailto:adriani.botez@...>>
*Gesendet:* Mittwoch, 21. August 2019 19:04
*An:* nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <mailto:nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
*Cc:* nvda-translations@groups.io <mailto:nvda-translations@groups.io>; nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Betreff:* Audio theme 3d - request of removal from the official website due to missing maintenance
Dear all,
with this message I request the community to remove the audiotheme 3d from the website and from the translations system because it seems we cannot find someone who maintain it. This addon causes problems in NVDA 2019.2 (i.e. NVDA does not announce elements on desktop after closing applications). It will also cause problems if the compatibility is not being updated.
To avoid invalid issues in NVDA’s repository on github, I further suggest to remove all incompatible addons from the website once NVDA 2019.3 comes out. Otherwise people, especially beginners, will download incompatible addons and will run into issues.
The authors are very welcome to request a re-integration of their addons on the website as soon as the compatibility flags are updated.
Thanks for your understanding.
Best regards
Adriani