Re: setting Firefox as default browser using NVDA

Gene

it sounds like a registry problem.  I don't know if anyone will be able to tell you how you ight solve it.

All that default browser means is that something will open in Firefox if you press enter on it, such as if you press enter on a link in an e-mail.  But there are other easy ways to open something in the browser you wish.  They require a little more work, but since you evidently can't set the default browser to Firefox, an example is that, when you are on a link in an e-mail, open the context menu.  You will probably find something like copy link or something similar.  Pressing enter will copy the address to the clipboard.  Then paste it into the browser's address bar, press enter, and the page will open.  I regularly use that method.  I havbe one browser as my default because I want certain very specific things to open most easily.  But in general, I want to use another browser.

From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] setting Firefox as default browser using NVDA

Brian,

I have tried that several times now and have even rebooted my system between tries and it still  doesn't stick.  I really do not understand what is happening here.

When I just tried it again when I click on the browser button it showed Firefox as being the default browser.  I clicked on it and then clicked on Firefox to make sure it was set and still it doesn't stick.

Maybe there is something wrong with Win 10 on my system and it isn't saving the settings in the place that Firefox is expecting it.  Not sure what is going on.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dan Beaver

On 8/22/2019 4:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
As a general note, setting anything as default under Windows 10 must be done in Windows 10 Settings, Apps, Default apps.

The "in program" dialogs are an anachronism that "don't stick" under Windows 10.   Those programmers who wanted to make their "in program" dialogs Windows Version agnostic query whether they're running under Windows 10 or not, then if they are actually trigger that Windows 10 Settings dialog to open to the correct pane and item to allow you to switch it.

I don't even bother "in program" anymore but just go to the Apps, Default Apps and handle it there.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)