Re: Nvda on Usb

Kevin Cussick

well yes, quite. this is what I do but I think Brian was maybe saying that nvda should buy default make a folder where ever you extract and buy default call it nvda.

On 22/08/2019 22:32, Luke Davis wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019, Brian Vogel wrote:

But knowing how
NVDA behaves when creating a portable copy, I don't ever create those on a drive where I already have lots of other data, as picking up all the pieces and
sweeping them into a dedicated NVDA folder becomes much more difficult. Instead, I create that portable copy on a blank drive, create an NVDA folder on
the drive where I actually want it, then copy over the content from the other drive with a simple "select all/CTRL+A" to get it all at once.
I don't understand. When creating a portable copy, the prompt says:
To create a portable copy of NVDA, please select the path and other options.
Portable directory:
At that point, you can just enter f:\nvda (if your USB disk was on drive F:), or whatever, and NVDA would be installed to that folder.
Why do you have to pick up any pieces, move them around, etc.?
Luke
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM, Gene wrote:
      But to keep files from being splattered on the drive without a folder, I think its better to have the files in a folder.  If you don't, they
      will be on the root of the drive or thumb drive.

I agree.   Some things that create portable copies also create a dedicated folder for same, others don't, and NVDA doesn't.If I intend to have a portable
copy of NVDA on a drive where I want lots of other stuff, I do as you've said elsewhere, create an NVDA folder, and move everything there.But knowing how
NVDA behaves when creating a portable copy, I don't ever create those on a drive where I already have lots of other data, as picking up all the pieces and
sweeping them into a dedicated NVDA folder becomes much more difficult.   Instead, I create that portable copy on a blank drive, create an NVDA folder on
the drive where I actually want it, then copy over the content from the other drive with a simple "select all/CTRL+A" to get it all at once.This is a "live
and learn" situation with each and every piece of portable software, depending on the behavior of what creates it. --

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide