Re: setting Firefox as default browser using NVDA

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 06:13 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
I am not Brian, but I can clarify that for you. It is, in fact, the exact opposite of what you thought. A restart brings Windows down, then restarts it from the ground up. These days, shutdown actually just puts your system into a hibernation mode (a more inactive form of sleep mode), and never really shuts it down. Therefore, restart is the more effective way to be sure Windows actually shuts down and comes back up.
Yep.   The most inane and counterintuitive change Microsoft introduced.   I have nothing against the Fast Startup, per se, but I do have a huge problem with how people can and do believe that doing a shutdown does exactly what it says.   If they wanted a separate form of Hibernation, which is what Fast Startup does (it only saves the OS system state out to disk, full hibernation does that along with the user state(s) for all user(s) active at the time), they should have called it something like Slumber.

The first thing I do when configuring a new Windows 10 system is to turn Fast Startup off.  When, not if, but when a corruption in the hiberfile occurs your system can have some of the most bizarre behaviors that make absolutely no sense.  And the multi-hour tail chasing I did once to determine this when working with one of my clients in a community college setting, trying to figure out why his keyboard would not work right (and, thus, neither did JAWS) I never wanted to do it again.

On systems with SSDs the decrease in boot times when it's off are imperceptible.  On regular HDD it's not that much longer to boot from scratch, and well worth it in my opinion.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide