Re: NVDA in Employment

Andy B.

Part of the reason secured environments don’t allow NVDA is partly because it is written in Python, an interpreted programming language much like Java or JavaScript. Python is not type safe. This means that if you have a variable such as age = 26 in an add-on somewhere, age could be changed to the word “frozen!” and the entire system crashes down on you. Although interpreted languages are a write once, run anywhere concept, runtime is much slower than compiled programming languages such as C++ and C#. I digress though, C# is partially compiled, then ran in an interpreted environment. In either case, NVDA is prone to more errors and problems than JAWS.

The other problem is that NVDA isn’t promoted enough. It has been around for about 10 years, but JAWS has been around since the 80s. Who can compete with something that stable?

Andy Borka

Accessibility engineer

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2019 7:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA in Emploandenp

Hi, everyone,

I hope this isn't too off-topic. I recently heard an argument that NVDA is bad for blind prospect's in employment because it is the "dumbed down" solution. The person arguing this elaborated, saying that NVDA is not customizable/flexible enough (too chatty"), that it was not able to be scripted as easily, it didn't work well with as much proprietary software, and that it wouldn't be allowed on secure environments due to being open source.

So my question is this: how many people here use NVDA for work, and is there a notable dilerence in level of usability with JAWS?

Also, does NVDA have a skim reading feature like JAWS?

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.