Re: how to change bang to exclamation and tick to apostrophe

Annette Moore

I did manage to get the apostrophe spoken correctly per Robert's instructions, but I had to use a different synthe than the Windows OneCore voices to do it because none of them would recognize the apostrophe and speak it to me so I knew which symbol to modify. It just appears as a blank space in the OneCore synthe. I should've just used your method, Giles, and gone through the speech dictionary. that probably would've been much less complicated. Well, all's well that ends well. I have my apostrophes spoken correctly now, so that's what matters.

Have a great day!

Annette

On 8/25/2019 8:14 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
I added dictionary entries so that they get spoken how I wish. It has worked for me, though I've only done it for the left and right versions, “” and ‘ which I get NVDA to say "left/right quote" for the first pair and "left/right tick" for the second pair. I lived in USA for 5 years so am quite comfrtable with hearing tick instead of apostrophe and bang instead of exclamation mark. I figure you can get NVDA to say anything you wish using the default speach dictionary :)

Giles