Re: how to change bang to exclamation and tick to apostrophe

Tyler Spivey

It didn't read the apostrophe because you missed the not so obvious step of turning your symbol level to all when opening that dialog.
NVDA doesn't automatically do this, even though you opened the dialog you would most likely want to hear all the symbols in.

On 8/25/2019 12:14 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
I did manage to get the apostrophe spoken correctly per Robert's instructions, but I had to use a different synthe than the Windows OneCore voices to do it because none of them would recognize the apostrophe and speak it to me so I knew which symbol to modify. It just appears as a blank space in the OneCore synthe. I should've just used your method, Giles, and gone through the speech dictionary. that probably would've been much less complicated. Well, all's well that ends well. I have my apostrophes spoken correctly now, so that's what matters.
Have a great day!
Annette
On 8/25/2019 8:14 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
I added dictionary entries so that they get spoken how I wish. It has worked for me, though I've only done it for the left and right versions, “” and ‘ which I get NVDA to say "left/right quote" for the first pair and "left/right tick" for the second pair. I lived in USA for 5 years so am quite comfrtable with hearing tick instead of apostrophe and bang instead of exclamation mark. I figure you can get NVDA to say anything you wish using the default speach dictionary :)

Giles