From: erik burggraaf
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2019 8:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA in Emploandenp

Hi Kelby

On August 25, 2019 7:39:31 AM "kelby carlson" <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:

I hope this isn't too off-topic. I recently heard an argument that NVDA is

bad for blind prospect's in employment because it is the "dumbed down"

solution.

That sounds like the blather of some one who recommended commercial screen

readers for 20 years and is now having their apple cart upset.  I've seen

this time and time again and will keep seeing it as long as accessibility

is a thing.  When some one has to use dirision rather than fact to steer

you away from one product and ttowards another, an alarm bell should shreek

in your head.

The person arguing this elaborated, saying that NVDA is not

customizable/flexible enough (too chatty"),

This is a matter of personal preference, but I can make NVDA do the common

things such as punctuation level that I sometimes need to configure.

that it was not able to be scripted as easily,

Now, I have heard argued the other point that NVDA is easier to scrypt than

jaws and I subscribe to this view.  Consider, there are many more python

programmers in the world than jaws scripters.  A company can script NVDA in

house using their own IT department.  Otherwise, the company needs to

outsource jaws scripting to an access technology professional.  The prices

I have seen quoted range from $500 per hour to $150 per line.

it didn't work well with as much proprietary software,

An argument that shows no understanding of access technology trends.  It is

no longer the purview of a screen reader to work with particular software.

In the current and emerging model, an operating system creates

accessibility API's that comply with recognized standards.  Screen readers

provide access using the API's and standards.  Software manufacturers are

increasingly  legally and socially obligated to comply with accessibility

standards and implement API's and ffeatures for accessibility provided by

the system.  Employers are increasingly legally and socially obligated to

procure technology hardware and software that complies with accessibility

standards so that it can work with access technologies.  NVDA has been

considered the most standards compliant screen rreader for several years as

far as I know,.

and that it wouldn't be allowed on secure environments due to being open

source.

Extrordinarily foolish.  If open source software is insecure, why is it

powering the commercial internet?  If commercial software is inherantly

secure, why do we need to spend billians of dollars protecting windows

against viruses?  NVD'S licencing makes it time and cost efficient to

install across large networks such as call centre floors holding thousands

of computer workstations.  If your corporate network is secure, than

running NVDA can't possibly be less secure  than running say adobe reader,

which is a known constantly volnerable commercial product.

So my question is this: how many people here use NVDA for work,

I do.  I'm a compuuter programming student working as a web application

developer for wholenote media in Toronto.  I've experienced some of the

things members are saying about programming tools such as long delays using

intelisense.  Not 30 seconds but finger-chompingly long lag.  This is the

fault of software developers such as Microsoft for not complying with

standards or even properly implementing their own API's.  At least, if you

want me to consider that there might be something in NVDA causing severe

lag in microsoft intelisense, how about giving us full access to xaml

designer, rad tools, and unit testing among other things.  If ms could say

their product was up to snuff, then I'd consider that there's an

ineficiency in NVDA.  Otherwise, autocomplete works well for me in browsers

and in VSCode though I haven't tried in notepadplusplus with the add on.

We can talk about it when visual studio becomes truly viable for accessibility.

and is there a notable dilerence in level of usability with JAWS?

I couldn't speak to this.  I haven't used jaws since the days of 4.5.  I

have provided some computer training on jaws systems though and have

experienced significant frustration using google chrome, excel 2016,

windows 10 mail, and other things.  In helping jaws users the last year or

so, I've seen an issue where displaying web content poops out.  Jaws

scripts still have a bent for corrupting themselves and needing to be

re-installed.  And they still haven't figured out how to deal with issues

such as laptops switching video cards for various power profiles and

ditching the authorization.

I was at the college last week getting set up for my fall semester classes.

 When I sat down with my access technologist, a nondisabled college

employee, he imediately expressed frustration to me over use of jaws in the

college.  He told me that in general nvda was working much better on

college systems than jaws, nvda is superior at the maths I have to do this

semester compared to jaws, and he thought for it's effectiveness, jaws was

way over priced.  This is a complete turnaround from 2.5 years ago when I

was registering for courses.  At that time, jaws was everything according

to this guy.  He was extremely skeptical of NVDA and only implemented it

for me because I insisted.  He was also dead set against mac and has had to

rethink that position too.  :-)

I've told the story many times about going into the interview at the call

centre back in 16.  It looked like they were gung hoe to hire me.  Their IT

guy that I was working with said, "thank god you really wanted NVDA.  Jaws

won't even load up on our systems for testing."  He also told me they would

script NVDA in house using their python programmers.  I didn't get hired,

but I don't think it had anything to do with  equipment and resources.

Hope this helps,